Pumpkin pie spice in April. Why not? This is a time to forget the rules and do something nice for yourself. A warm, nourishing drink can be a wonderful way to start the day (or help ease you into bedtime). This Pumpkin Spice Rooibos Chai is the self care you deserve!
You'll need a steaming pitcher or a small saucepan, and a frothing wand to whip the almond milk up just right. You can also use a stick blender if you don't have a frothing wand, though you'll want to take care that the pitcher is deep enough to avoid making too much of a splash, if that's what you're working with.
We used our Barista almond milk to make our version, and added a touch of maple syrup for an extra-yummy treat. It tasted just like fresh apple pie! But you can switch it up and opt for our Unsweetened if sugar isn't your thing. You can even skip the maple syrup if that's your preference. A little squeeze of orange juice could be a delicious addition, too.
Our favorite rooibos is Numi's Rooibos Chai, we think it has the perfect blend of spices and warmth (plus it's organic!). Rooibos is native to South Africa and is high in polyphenols, which work as antioxidants and have a strong association with the reduction of heart disease. And since it's caffeine-free, you can enjoy rooibos any time of day. It's healthy and versatile!
This recipe serves two.
- 1 c. water
- 2 tea bags Numi Tea Rooibos Chai
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 c. Unsweetened or Barista almond milk
- dash of pumpkin pie spice
- Remove strings and tags from tea bags. In a steaming pitcher or small saucepan, cover tea bags with water and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and for a few minutes before removing tea bags; set aside to cool.
- Add maple syrup, if desired. Squeeze tea bags over pitcher until all excess liquid has been removed.
- Add almond milk and simmer for another few minutes. During final minute, use a frothing wand to froth almond milk well. Remove from heat.
- Pour into two mugs, making sure each has some foam at the top. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice and serve!