We love a good bowl of oatmeal, especially when there are berries involved! This recipe calls for berries of two kinds, as well as unsweetened coconut chips (we got ours from Thrive Market). While you can use any oatmeal you have on hand, we used oats from one of our favorite grain producers, grown and milled right here in the USA.
To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co. is based in Bullock County, Alabama. Originally started by Peggy Sutton as a way to sell baked goods using the grains she'd been sprouting at home, today Peggy and her husband Jeff operate a 48,000 square foot organic grain mill and sell their products to companies like Whole Foods and Kellogg's. You can buy their consumer products directly online, which is a great way to have quality organic sprouted grains delivered directly to your door. Peggy and Jeff are lovely people who make beautiful, healthy food, and we think they represent some of the best that American organic agriculture has to offer.
We used their sprouted oat groats, which we love for their chewy texture and earthy flavor. You can swap for sprouted rolled oats as well, just adjust your cooking time by following directions on the bag. Whichever oats you use, we think you'll love this delicious combo to start your day the healthy way!
This recipe serves four.
- 5 c. water
- 2 c. sprouted oat groats
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup Unsweetened almond milk
- 10 fresh strawberries
- 1 c. blueberries*
- 1 c. unsweetened coconut chips
*If you don't have any fresh blueberries on hand, you can use frozen! Just rinse in a small colander in the sink, and dry them well before adding to your oatmeal.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water and sea salt to a rolling boil. Lower to heat to medium-low and add oats, stirring slowly to make sure they don't clump together. Add cinnamon and maple syrup (if desired). Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or so until water is absorbed and oats are fully cooked through.
- While oats are cooking, rinse strawberries and cut them into thin slices. Rinse blueberries as well, whether they're fresh or frozen. Dry berries and set them aside.
- When oatmeal is finished cooking, serve into four dishes and pour 1/4 cup of Unsweetened almond milk over top of each.
- Add berries and coconut chips. Serve warm and enjoy!